We currently have an opportunity for an Assistant Vice President, Medical Facilities Liability, to join our OneBeacon team. This position can be located in our Richmond, VA office. Reporting to our Senior Vice President, this position is responsible for underwriting highly complex accounts while developing and executing strategic initiatives that contribute to the growth and profitability. As an AVP, you will manage a book of business in an assigned territory. Providing superior service and fostering long lasting relationship with our agents, brokers and internal partners is key to the success of in this role.
1) Maximizes opportunities for profitable new business, as appropriate based on marketing conditions, by leveraging business relationships, product knowledge and underwriting acumen. Develops and maintains an active target account list tracking prospects and account rounding and/or missed opportunities. Manages financial performance of all assigned products in assigned territory including: accident year loss ratio, premium plans (including new business, retention, and rate/exposure increases), and commission targets.
2) Underwrites a book of business. Manages underwriting quality and book management, which includes: executing underwriting strategy (including portfolio management), self-auditing new and renewal business (eligibility, class fit, price to exposure, use of pricing tools, deductibles, insurance to value, analysis of losses, and well documented approvals of underwriting edits). Ensures compliance with standards and assigned underwriting authorities.
3) For assigned line of business, examines, identifies, and evaluates exposures by analyzing documentation from various sources (e.g. application, inspection reports, credit reports, etc.) and makes underwriting decisions to accept, decline, or modify risks within assigned territory. Demonstrates a strong understanding of exposures and key coverage issues. Implements underwriting decisions in compliance with state laws.
4) Develops superior working relationships with producers, and with internal and external partners, to successfully promote achievement of mutual growth and profitability goals and to supply the appropriate products and services. From a sales perspective, has the ability to identify gaps in coverage and/or services, understands where OneBeacon can make a difference based on those gaps and uses that information to help retain or obtain a customer. Works closely with and establishes strong business partnerships with other OneBeacon underwriters, claims and risk control staff in an effort to better service producers and accounts.
5) Regularly travels to key producers/accounts and remains highly visible in the marketplace. Anticipates the needs of the agency plant, analyzes trends, and implements proactive strategies that best position OneBeacon. Communicates the OneBeacon underwriting appetite and generates qualified business. Communicates and monitors agency action plans and participates in agency planning and marketing meetings with other staff.
6) Gathers and analyzes competitor information and producer specific reports on assigned producers’ new business flow, retention, profitability and potential, to support territorial rate reviews.
7) Maintains a strong professional knowledge of competitive, regulatory and legal environments and applies this information effectively. 8) Promotes and sells OneBeacon service as an advantage, effectively utilizing approach and in-house support functions.
Expert knowledge of technical underwriting, pricing, and coverage issues. Must be a proven self-starter with strong multi-tasking and customer service skills. Must have strong analytical, decision making, problem-solving, communication, listening, and organizational skills. Must have superior negotiation, marketing and sales skills. Must be able to work both independently and as a highly collaborative member of a team. Maintains strong professional knowledge of legislative issues, industry trends and marketplace issues within the territory. Must be able to act as coach and mentor to junior members of the department. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and training preferred. The ideal candidate will have 5-7 years of progressively more complex professional lines underwriting experience, preferably in Medical Facilities Liability. CPCU and/or RPLU preferred
Internal Number: 738BR
About OneBeacon Insurance Group
OneBeacon Insurance Group focuses on the unique risks faced by certain industry groups that we believe would benefit from specialized expertise, tailored products and an intense commitment to service. At OneBeacon, we believe that specialized expertise matters. Through our underwriting companies, we offer a broad range of specialty insurance products and services sold through independent agencies, regional and national brokers, wholesalers and managing general agencies. Each OneBeacon business is managed by an experienced team of specialty insurance professionals focused on a specific customer group or industry segment they know well.
BACK TO TOP
Formed in 1974, the Independent Bankers Association of Texas (IBAT) represents Texas community banks. The Austin-based group is the largest state community banking organization in the nation, with membership comprised of more than 2,000 banks and branches in 700 Texas communities. Providing safe and responsible financial services to all Texans, IBAT member bank assets range in size from $10 million to $20 billion with combined assets statewide of nearly $165 billion. IBAT member banks are committed to supporting and investing in their local communities.