Under broad supervision, responsible for underwriting risks in a book of business. Works within limited authority on assignments of moderate technical complexity. Utilizes underwriting policies and guidelines, rating manual rules and insurance laws and regulations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Reviews applications and financial requirements for risks requiring moderate technical underwriting skills. Determines acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards.
2. Recommends appropriate pricing and coverage modifications or enhancements for risks after complete analysis and consideration of applicant documentation, business factors and competitive situations.
3. Prepares quotes and answers questions from agencies, internal and external contacts and escalates issues as necessary.
4. Prepares written communication on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations. Verbally notifies agents of decisions where appropriate in order to ensure clear understanding of the decision.
5. Analyzes quality, quantity, and profitability of risks underwritten and prepares reports for management review.
6. May assist in marketing products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community and makes field visits.
7. Develops and maintains positive agency and/or broker relationships to ensure positive outcomes.
8. Keeps current on state/territory issues, regulations and trends.
9. Works with more senior underwriters or management on risks exceeding authority level or requiring special handling.
10. Develop proficiency in all relevant CNA systems. Also, may update the underwriting systems.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Supervisor or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Knowledge of underwriting and insurance industry theories and practices.
2. Developing technical expertise and negotiation skills.
3. Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to work independently.
5. Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, and to manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects.
6. Ability to exercise independent judgment and make sound business decisions effectively.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
8. Demonstrated leadership skills
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
2. Completion of a formal underwriting training program or minimum one year underwriting experience.
CNA is one of the largest U.S. commercial property and casualty insurance companies. Backed by more than 120 years of experience, CNA provides a broad range of standard and specialized insurance products and services for businesses and professionals in the U.S., Canada and Europe.
Formed in 1974, the Independent Bankers Association of Texas (IBAT) represents Texas community banks. The Austin-based group is the largest state community banking organization in the nation, with membership comprised of more than 2,000 banks and branches in 700 Texas communities. Providing safe and responsible financial services to all Texans, IBAT member bank assets range in size from $21 million to $31 billion with combined assets statewide of nearly $193 billion. IBAT member banks are committed to supporting and investing in their local communities.